Reading Challenge Update
Coming to the end of the first quarter so time to review my progress on the various challenges I set myself.
1. Volume Target of 36 – I’m doing well on this as I’ve finished 12 so far so barring any disasters I’m well on track to beat this.
2. “New To Me” Authors – for the last couple of years this had hovered around 6 – 8, I would like to get this up to 10 for 2012. I’ve already read 8 new-to-me authors in 2012 and working on number 9 so likewise this shouldn’t be a problem.
3. Geographic – I’ve a tendency toward American fiction and in the last couple of years have expanded into Nordic as well as maintaining an interest in the burgeoning Irish crime scene. I’m going to try to make room for some other territories this year – target of 5 outside of the aforementioned regions plus an increase in the specific Irish output as well. I also need to read some more authors from my near neighbour in the UK given the solitary UK book I read for 2011. Ok, not so good. 10 American, 1 Irish & 1 Norwegian. Must try harder as my teachers used to say.
4. TBR – the dreaded TBR pile is seriously out of control with a number of excellent authors and books sitting there crying out for attention so I have to rescue at least 10 books from the TBR pile this year. 4 books extracted from the pile but given they were only added to it in December I’m not sure they should really count as the hardcore offenders are still there.
5. The Classics – I’ve neglected the likes of Chandler, Hammett, MacDonald et al so will try to include at least 3 of the “classic” authors in 2012. No progress to report.
6. Series – I’ve made some inroads in the last couple of years into various series that I would like to continue in 2012, specifically Martin Beck by Sjowall and Wahloo, Ed McBain’s 87th Precinct, Robert Crais’ Elvis Cole and a re-read of Lawrence Block’s Matt Scudder. Oh-oh, best get a move on here, absolutely nothing to report here either!